Not a lot to say lately, because half of the footballing world has more than excoriated Richard Scudamore and the 39th game proposal. And in the meantime, the wife’s been doing a lot of weekend volunteer work, which has dramatically reduced football viewing time. In fact, all I saw was portions of the split screen coverage of Barca – Atletico, and Real – Recreativo, plus the Arsenal – Milan Champions’ League game in the form of pirated highlights on YouTube. Therefore, a couple of thoughts only. For Arsenal:
- Fabregas’ goal against Milan was entertaining but it was his scorching by Gattuso that did it for me. The shot was ballsy, but it was not quite McFadden-esque.
- Opposition teams should be shitting themselves at the way that Walcott and Adebayor combined for the second goal. It looked like Walcott only had been sped up on the replay.
- Surest sign that Milan were giving it their all: Pippo “What’s offside again?” Inzaghi was actually taking shots from onside positions.
And for the Spanish league action:
- Third best highlight of the weekend: Atletico’s Kun Aguero’s first against Barca
- Second best highlight: Ronaldinho’s bicycle kick goal against Atletico
- Best highlight: Recreativo’s goalkeeper Steffano Sorrentino goes up against Raul for the ball, and simultaneously gets the ball and – realizing a long time dream of mine – gives Raul a good smack to the chops.
And there you have it.